WooCommerce is undoubtedly the most popular open source e-commerce solution for WordPress. Ideal for small as well as large scale businesses, this incredible plugin has quickly become the No. 1 choice of every merchant due to its simple user interface and multiple customization features. Moreover, it is free and has elaborate documentation that enables better understanding. However, since nothing is perfect in the world, even WooCommerce lacks certain essential features. Out of these, the most important feature that it does not support is save abandoned carts.
Why do people abandon shopping carts in Woocommerce?
Now, the first question when it comes to abandoned carts is that why do people abandon shopping carts. There are many reasons due to which people abandon carts. Some of these are.
- High shipping or additional costs
- The store asked the customer to sign up
- The checkout process was too long
- The total cost order was not displayed till the end
- Website errors or server crashes
- The site seemed unreliable and fishy
- The shipping period was too long
- The return time was too short
- It did not support the payment methods used by the customer
- Payment option declined
- The user was window shopping but couldn’t settle with any of the shortlisted products
Some of these reasons are not under your control. However, some of these can be controlled and improved to deliver better results.
How to Save Abandoned Carts?
According to Baymard Institute, 69.89% people abandon their carts on an average. A sad fact indeed. However, you’ll be happy to know that out of this 35.26 % can be successfully converted just by ensuring a better checkout design. Now since you already know the reasons behind this, we will help you to understand how you can regain lost sales and customers by saving abandoned carts and sending abandoned cart recovery emails.
There are two ways to save abandoned carts on your e-commerce online store. The first method is coding which is not everyone’s cup of tea. Hence, we will go forth with the second method which is plugins. Luckily, WordPress has a huge repository of easy to use, free plugins that help you achieve most of your needs.
From this amazing repository, you can use any of these five plugins mentioned below.
- WooCommerce Live Checkout Field Capture
- Jilt for WooCommerce
- Abandoned Cart Lite for WooCommerce
- Abandoned Cart Reports For WooCommerce
- Cart recovery for WordPress
Before you proceed with the installation process of these free plugins, make sure that WooCommerce is installed and activated on your WordPress site. Any additional setup or configuration is not required after these two installations.
If you don’t like these free plugins, we would recommend you to go with AutomateWoo as it is the best premium plugin that generates automated emails to boost WooCommerce sales.
As soon as the installation process is complete, all information that every visitor enters like his email or contact number in the Checkout form will be stored with you. You can access this information anytime to send emails to the customers who abandon shopping carts on your site.
Tips To Send Abandoned Cart Recovery Emails
Even after you get the information from these customers, many of these customers might not even respond. However, there will be some might return or at least provide some crucial feedback about your store. Hence, to maximize the chances to convert or even stimulate a response from them, here are a few tips that would help you to create pleasing abandoned cart recovery emails.
- Send emails at least an hour after the cart has been abandoned.\
- Do not ask directly. Ask for feedback first and try to understand the issue first.
- Try to personalize the email, so that the reader does not feel it is a spam.
- Make the subject of the mail short, crisp and informational.
- Insert a call to action to guide the recipient to the next step.
- DO NOT PUSH the customer.
Even if you have the best WooCommerce store in the world, abandoned cards cannot be fully eliminated. Hence, the best way to deal with abandoned carts is to save them and then use the extracted information. You can also take a look at the Best Marketing Automation Plugins for WooCommerce to understand more about Woocommerce marketing and increased sales conversions.
If you follow the above steps and tips, chances are high that you will end up winning more customers than you lose. Remember, customers who are won over in this way, soon transform into loyal customers. Just make sure that you test the mails well before releasing them.
If you have any queries regarding saving and recovering abandoned carts, let us know in the comments section below.