The right Product Information Management software (PIM) can help you save time and avoid product micromanagement as your business grows and your product catalog expands.
Today, we live in an Omnichannel World. Consumers today shop across multiple channels and marketplaces. Retailers need product information management systems that can store, upload and manage products across all channels and marketplaces.
This article will explain what PIM software is and why it is important for product information management. We’ll also discuss the 10 top PIM tools that you can use to help your business.
What is Product Information Management (PIM)?
Product information management (PIM) manages, enriches, and distributes product information and digital assets among different teams to create a compelling product experience and sell the product through multiple sales channels. PIM is a process-driven, master-data-driven solution for sharing product content. It acts as a central platform for storing, managing, governing, enriching, and distributing product information to sales, marketing, and eCommerce channels.
What is PIM software?
PIM software, or a set of tools, helps retailers (eCommerce and offline) produce and manage product content across multiple digital channels. It is not to be confused with personal data managers, another acronym for “PIM”. You may require a single source of product metadata or a catalog maker.
eCommerce has seen a surge in demand for shopping via smartphones. Now, brands must organize large quantities of product data and provide accurate information to multiple online shopping portals.
PIM software can compile a variety of product information, including:
- Technical data: Size/measurements, color options, ingredients, etc.
- Use data: When, how, and where to use it.
- Emotional data: product stories, metadata descriptions, etc.
- Media files: images, text files, videos, etc.
- Data from digital catalog platform: Product numbers, variations, seasonal listings, etc.
Top Product Information Management Software
Research shows that 50 percent of companies will have a dedicated PIM environment by 2021 to manage production processes and deliver high-quality products.
With this in mind, how can you choose the best Product Information Management tool to fit your business’ needs?
Your company’s goals and budget will determine the right PIM software for you. These are the 10 best PIM software options.
Akeneo, an enterprise-level solution, is designed to “power all your cross-border and omnichannel commerce initiatives.” It can handle large amounts of product information such as hundreds or thousands of SKUs, and hundreds of attributes.
- All product information can be centralized in one location.
- Distribute product data across multiple channels.
- For supplier data, validation workflows are created using rules and validation.
Who is it for? Akeneo offers a solution for nearly everyone who needs a PIM system.
Salsify, a cloud-based PIM platform, gives everyone in your organization instant access to the same real-time data from any location around the globe. This is compatible with all major ERP and DAM platforms.
- You can see your teammates’ product data changes in real-time with real-time collaboration.
- Unlimited users, workflows, and channels.
- Unlimited storage.
- Multilingual support.
- Reminders in a click to request product information or images from suppliers or colleagues.
- Scalable platform.
Who is it for? Salsify works well for retailers with many chefs in their kitchens. Flexible permissions, collaboration tools, and audit history capabilities make Salify ideal for large teams that have ever-changing product information.
Riversand’s data management software makes up-to-date product information accessible to all types of retail businesses. This includes sales, merchandising, accounting, IT, and many more. The enterprise software solution manages all aspects of the product creation, marketing, and sale process.
- Multi-region coverage that supports multiple languages, currencies, or classifications is simple.
- Support for e-catalogs as well as print media.
- Automated workflows, business processes.
Who is it for? Riversand was designed for enterprise-level brands. Riversand is a great choice for any retailer that has the funds and needs to have a solid data management platform.
Plytix, an all-in-one PIM system that enables omnichannel marketing, is available. They provide digital asset management (DAM), product syndication, brand portals, and product sheets as well as for analytics.
- Product data can be edited in bulk or direct.
- Export and import functions.
- Unlimited custom attributes.
- Creation of product feeds (XML and CSV).
Who is it for? The free version of Plytix works well for small businesses that are just starting to manage product information. However, the Pro plan has many features that will benefit larger businesses.
5. inRiver PIM
InRiver’s Product Information Manager (PIM) allows you to send product information to any channel including catalogs, eCommerce sites, and mobile devices.
- Extensions for Magento-based Stores.
- Tools to help suppliers on board and improve the quality of information.
- Search enhancements and query building.
- Planner app to plan future promotions, campaigns, and product launches.
Who is it for? inRiver can be used by both B2B as well as B2C retailers. This is ideal for businesses with many product data, especially those that have a lot of online participation.
Pimcore, an open-source enterprise digital platform that combines Master Data Management (MDM), Product Information Management, (PIM), Digital Asset Management, (DAM), and eCommerce tools, is a consolidated, open-source platform.
- It is highly scalable.
- Connectivity to enterprise systems like CRMs ERPs, ERPs, and ESBs.
- User-specific dashboards.
- Built-in style editors, widgets, snippets, and responsive design.
- Google Webmasters and Analytics Integrations.
Who is it for? Pimcore can be used by agencies, software integrators, and enterprises to consolidate and manage their product information, digital assets, and master data to improve customer experience.
Catsy’s product information management system (PIM) allows brands to centralize their product content in one place. Catsy makes it easy to share content with online retailers and marketplaces, sales reps, or eCommerce sites. This tool also allows you to print documents.
- A centralized hub for product content.
- Ability to link product information with digital assets.
- Create, import, share, and distribute retailer- and distributor-ready content.
Who is it for? Catsy was designed for small to medium-sized manufacturers.
8. Agility Multichannel
Agility Multichannel, a PIM software solution, offers dynamic workflows and simplified processes. It also provides rich content. The integrated integration tools make it easy to import and gather information.
- Contextual views allow you to adapt and customize data for each channel.
- Easy integration with existing eCommerce platforms.
- Automation of process and workflow.
- Real-time financial, performance, and economic analytics.
Who is it for? Agility can be used by both B2C as well as B2B retailers who are looking for a flexible data management solution. Agility is a great choice for retailers who require a lot more visibility into their financial and performance data.
9. Syndigo Content Experience Hub
Syndigo’s Content Experience hub is an end-to-end solution that allows retailers, distributors, and manufacturers to access all their product data and digital assets in one place.
- The Global Data Synchronization Network (GDSN), and GS1 certified.
- Support for industry-specific data such as deep nutrition information or automotive requirements.
- Transparent price synchronization.
- Rich media and product content enhancement.
Who is it for? Although Syndigo can be used by all industries, the PIM system works best for those working in highly-regulated and specialized areas like healthcare and food service.
10. Informatica MDM Product 360
Informatica’s master data management (MDM), platform provides a holistic, comprehensive hub of information from all channels and platforms.
- User interfaces that can be configured to allow for role- and task-based tasks.
- Integrated with major systems such as HCL Commerce and Oracle ATG Web Commerce. Salesforce
- Commerce Cloud. Google, Amazon, Intershop Commerce Suite.
- Portal for supplier onboarding.
- Fully-automated digital asset management.
Who is it for? Informatica is the best choice for B2C retailers looking to improve product data accuracy and simplify supplier onboarding.
Picturepark is a cloud-based software solution used by companies to automate their product assets’ organizing, distributing, and integration. This includes product lists, product attributes, images, videos, documents, product records, taxonomies, metadata, and much more – at a massive scale with a powerful API and a marketplace of connectors including Shopify or DeepL.
- Single point of truth for all product information (data, assets, reference projects)
- Routing of product information to one or multiple stores (CMS, Shopify, Deepl product translations)
- AI tagging and smart product tags for simplified product management
- Automation via business process rules for validation, governance and full access control
Comestri is a digital commerce platform, enabling the unified commerce ecosystem. The platform helps retailers consolidate, orchestrate and publish product information wherever their customers are, increasing sales, conversions and happy customers.
- One system to manage product data (PIM), sales & marketing channels (Channel Manager), orders & fulfillment locations (OMS), and e-commerce automation.
- Connect your e-commerce platform with your wider commerce ecosystem for a seamless customer experience, complete visibility, and flexibility.
- Composable and headless commerce-ready.
Who is it for?
Comestri is best suited to medium to large retailers needing to boost the functionality of their ecommerce platform. They may require a more indepth product hierarchy structure, to manage SKUs in excess of 5,000, connect additional sales and marketing channels and needing to manage all orders and fulfillment in the one place.
13. Gepard PIM
Gepard, a turn-key product information management platform, helps eCommerce businesses reduce manual data-related work and automates all product data flaws, ensuring the brands and retailers can focus on more strategic tasks.
- Seamless data syndication to flawlessly distribute product content among various marketplaces and sales channels;
- Data validation module to ensure data compliance and minimum data errors;
- Custom-tailored product information management;
- Complying with the industry data standards;
- Automating of product content collection from various suppliers;
- Numerous content enrichment and data transformation benefits;
- Comfortable interface and easy onboarding of non-technical users.
Who is it for?
Gepard PIM empowers retailers and brands with the automation of data-related processes. Brands and manufacturers can easily connect with the leading eCommerce platforms, marketplaces, and content providers, meanwhile, retailers can automatically collect product content from data suppliers.
Ergonode is the first human-centric PIM solution. It is the perfect way to manage products in the digital era. Ergonode is the heart of the product content team. It helps to create, edit and distribute product content across all channels.
- The most user-friendly PIM solution with a drag-and-drop design tool
- API-first platform
- Quick and effective mass actions
- Unlimited language versions and easy translation
- Customized view
- Easy integration with well-known e-commerce platforms
Who is it for? Ergonode is the best choice for ambitious retailers, who are planning to develop their business and new sales channels. It is for every professional looking for a flexible and user-friendly interface, easy and effective implementation, and unlimited possibilities to enter into new markets.
15. pirobase Imperia
Digital technology has fundamentally changed both the buying process and the customer journey. pirobase helps companies to react to this development. Its product experience management combines consistent, relevant product information with personalized and emotive marketing content across all channels, allowing companies to create a modern shopping experience.
- one single point of truth for your product data
- Product Information Management at the enterprise level
- maximum flexibility with the customizable data model
- unprecedented data quality
- Product Experience Management
Who is it for:
pirobase is designed for midsized companies to large enterprises with large assortments. It can be used in various industries such as retail, chemistry, healthcare, technical industry, automotive, and many more.
16. Anchanto OMS
Anchanto Order Management System (OMS) is a full suite of eCommerce management software that helps enterprises manage orders, catalogs and product information, digital assets, inventory, promotions, reports, analytics, pricing, and reports across multiple channels on a single dashboard.
Central management of catalogs through the PIM module helps you deliver a uniform customer experience across channels.
- You can maintain the same brand image across channels
- Collect and manage product information in any language
- Plan product promotions, campaigns, and launches
- Categorize products and share them with partners
- Work with your teammates and selling partners
- See real-time product information changes
- Make bulk product data changes
- Support different currencies
- Store unlimited data
Who is it for:
Anchanto OMS is designed for brands, distributors, retail enterprises, eCommerce enablers, and service providers managing multichannel eCommerce. It is ideal for companies with diverse products and SKUs, especially those operating through a tiered distribution model.
17. Amber Engine
Amber Engine’s next-gen product information management (PIM) software organizes all of your product-related data in one place and simplifies advanced optimizations to sell more across channels and online marketplaces like Amazon.
- Channel-specific exporting
- Digital assets management
- Formulas and bulk editing
- Dynamic and static lists
- Enhanced data scoring and import
Who is it for:
Any and every brand selling on e-commerce platforms need a PIM to properly manage product information and multichannel sales. Amber Engine’s next-gen PIM is designed for e-com brands looking to get ahead of the curve, get rid of spreadsheet nightmares, and break away from the limits of legacy and outdated PIM software.
Conclusion on PIM
These are the top 10 Product Information Management tool that you can use for your business. Are you familiar with the PIM software mentioned above? Are there any product information solutions you’d like to add? Please let us know, what you will think about it in the comments.