You can install BuddyPress on your WordPress network (multisite) in various ways like
- BuddyPress root blog in Main Site
- BuddyPress root blog in Secondary Site
2. One site of the Network:
Posts, comments, or activities of the users in sites other than where you activated BuddyPress won’t be recorded in the Activity Streams when you install BuddyPress in only one site of the network.
- BuddyPress Activated in Main Site only
- BuddyPress Activated in Secondary Site only
3.BP enables multi-blog – network activated
BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG is a BuddyPress constant that, when defined as,
true allows your BuddyPress content to be displayed on any site in your WordPress Multisite network.
BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG is disabled.
To turn on
BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG mode, put the following line in your
wp-config.php file, somewhere above “That’s all, stop editing!”:
define( 'BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG', true );
BP_ENABLE_MULTIBLOG does not enable separate BuddyPress networks on your installation.
4. BuddyPress Multisite – network activated
We are going to talk about the special case of BuddyPress multisite.
BuddyPress network instance from one site or subsite to multiple BuddyPress instances in a WordPress Multisite installation. This setup is complicated and would require BuddyPress/WordPress expertise plus server administration skills. You would need to install plugins to be able to configure this set up such as:
Plugin segregates BuddyPress social networks in a multi-network WordPress install so that each WP network has a different social network. The user base is still shared across the WP install.
Multiple WP networks can be created with either:
Turn your WordPress Multisite installation into many multisite networks, surrounding one global set of users.
WP Multi Network allows global administrators to create new networks with their own sites and domain arrangements
- Each network can have a different domain. Users are global, and can log in to any of those networks with the same credentials.
This plugin provides the interface to set up another network of sites within the install you already have. You may choose to run this additional network off a different domain entirely or a subdomain – it’s very flexible.
Networks+ allows you to have:
- two or more networks in one install
- nested subdomains
- top-level domains with their own child sites
- share users, plug
ins and themes between them all
BuddyPress WordPress multisite plugin enables you to create separate social networks on a single BuddyPress Installation.
- It allows you to create separate social networks on a single BuddyPress Install.
- It separates the User base of one network from another(Each network can have different user base).
- A user can be part of more than one network(You will need a plugin like join blog widget to allow user to join multiple networks).
- All networks can have their own user base, activities, groups, Profile data(x-profile fields) which can be different from others.
Though this plugin allows separation of users from one network to other networks, there remain a few questions unanswered?
1. What if a User deletes account on one of the networks? should he be removed from all the networks? what happens to his data on other networks?
2. What if a user is marked spam on a network, what should we do with his/her data?
Before installing BuddyPress, please make sure that you’ve checked the minimum server requirements and WordPress version compatibility.