WordPress is an incredibly versatile CMS. You can use it to launch a blog, an online store, a photo gallery, and more. While it’s probably not its typical use, you can also easily turn WordPress into a membership site, too. To run a membership site with WordPress, you need one of the numerous, free or paid, membership plugins in WordPress. You can’t say one plugin is better than the rest – it simply depends on what you need it for. Here’s a roundup of the best free WordPress membership plugins you can start using on your website today.
Top membership Plugin WordPress
To create a safe and secure environment for your members all you will need is a membership plugin for your WordPress site. here are some recommendations.
MemberMouse is an easy-to-use WordPress membership plugin that allows you to sell products, subscriptions, and memberships, set up a password-protected member’s area, offer 1-click upsells and down sells, manage customers, automate customer service, track critical retention metrics, and more. No matter where you’re starting from, MemberMouse has the power you need to maximize revenue and get your business running like a well-oiled machine.
Key Features of MemberMouse are
- Customer Management: Register new members and accept orders with highly configurable and easy-to-use checkout pages.
- Protected Member’s Area: Easily password-protect pages to deliver premium content, PDFs, videos, software, and more. Member’s only area Engagement statistics Auto-lock shared accounts Password reset Drip & scheduled content
- Support Automation: Let customers update their profile, billing details, email, and password, cancel subscriptions, and more.
- Reporting & Analytics: Get a handle on critical metrics including sales, lifetime value by source, retention, and more.
Get The Plugin
WP-Members is probably the first WordPress membership site plugin that comes to mind. This isn’t strange because it’s a very popular plugin – it has 60,000+ active installs.
The list of its features is rather impressive. In a nutshell, it has all the features you will need to manage your members and the content they can access. Some of the features you won’t find in all other plugins are inline login/registration (i.e. from the page itself, not from the WP login page), custom registration and profile fields, automatic creation of post excerpts, and so on.
Get The Plugin
Memberium is a risk-free, fully automated membership plugin that is strongly integrated with Keap/Infusionsoft. It doesn’t require any custom coding or costly developers, and it’s backed up by an award-winning team for constant support.
LMS plugins are pre-installed in Memberium, allowing you to develop online courses to teach people about your areas of expertise without the integration requirement of LearnDash, LifterLMS, Sensei, WP Courseware, and LearnPress.
Whether you’re an author, a course creator, provide internal training, or run a service business, the plugin allows you to grant access to restricted information to an unlimited number of students, members, or others, create and sell as many courses as you want, and create an unlimited number of membership levels.
Memberium can be used to onboard new clients, collect data that is sent directly to Keap, set up a billing site, and allow clients to upload files that are stored in Keap. Memberium can also be used to train your team or employees on an internal basis, as well as distribute your publications and prevent anyone from sharing download links.
S2Member is another one of the most popular, best, and most powerful (free) membership plugins for WordPress. With the S2 membership plugin, you can protect members-only content with user roles and capabilities.
The s2Member Framework free WordPress membership plugin integrates with PayPal Website Payments Standard (also free). You can set up Membership access to your site. This free plugin allows you to restrict access to user roles, Capabilities, Posts, Pages, or anything else in WordPress.
You can even protect all downloadable files and stream audio and video on your WordPress website. You can store files locally, or use s2Member’s integration with Amazon S3/CloudFront.
A pro version is also available which allows you to accept payments via Stripe, PayPal Pro, and Authorize.net.
Get The Plugin
5. Restrict Content Pro
Restrict Content Pro is one of the biggest names when it comes to membership plugins. It comes from Pippin’s Plugins, the same team behind Easy Digital Downloads and AffiliateWP. Pippin has rightfully built a reputation for releasing high-quality plugins and Restrict Content Pro is no exception.
Restrict Content Pro lets you create unlimited subscription levels. You can choose between free, trial, and premium subscriptions, which gives you a good deal of flexibility.
You can also get creative with pricing. For paid memberships, you can choose to charge a certain fee for a set period, as well as an optional one-time fee. This combination allows for some exciting pricing structures. For example, you could charge something like $20 per month with a one-time $50 signup fee.
If users want to move between plans, they can easily upgrade or downgrade and have the amount they paid prorated to their new plan. Only if you allow it, of course. Not many membership plugins offer this functionality.
To structure membership content, Restrict Content Pro lets you restrict content on a per-post basis. Or, you can use shortcodes to only restrict specific content inside an otherwise available post/page.
Get The Plugin
Restrict Content Pro vs MemberPress
MemberPress is another popular membership plugin. It includes all the standard features you’d expect plus a few nifty tricks.
First off, you can create unlimited membership levels with all kinds of trial periods and payment options. And you can even categorize different membership levels into “Membership Groups” to create predefined upgrade paths. That’s a unique selling point!
And like the previous plugins, MemberPress lets you drip out your content on a predefined schedule.
MemberPress gives you all types of reports to see how your membership site is performing. And it also has a nifty feature called MemberPress Reminders which lets you send out emails when specific events occur, like an upcoming subscription renewal.
As far as integrations go, MemberPress hooks up with most major email marketing services, as well as major payment gateways like PayPal, Authorize.Net, and Stripe. And you’ll really love this integration if you run an online course:
MemberPress can integrate with LearnDash(Get LearnDash Plugin), a popular learning management system for creating online courses using WordPress. That unlocks some powerful online course functionality.
Get The Plugin
7. Paid Memberships Pro Membership Plugin WordPress
Paid Memberships Pro is one of the most popular free WordPress membership plugins. It requires WordPress 3.5 or higher and is compatible with WordPress 4.4.2.
With Paid Memberships Pro plugin you can set up unlimited membership levels and provide restricted access to members-only content (including pages, posts, categories, videos, forums, and downloads).
Accepting payments is also easy because Paid Memberships Pro integrates with The Most Popular Payment Gateways including Stripe, Authorize.net, PayPal (Standard, Express, Website Payments Pro, and PayPal Payments Pro/Payflow), Braintree, 2Checkout, and Cybersource.
Get The Plugin
MemberPress vs Paid Membership Pro
8. ARMember Membership Plugin WordPress
ARMember WordPress membership plugin is an exceptional plugin that offers a unique set of features to boost your WordPress membership website.
If you are looking to create a WordPress membership website to sell online courses, PDF downloads, downloading ebooks, or digital downloads, ARMember is the best fit for you to build a great membership website.
Better yet, you do not require to be a tech-savvy person to create a membership website for WordPress.
Let’s have a glance at the impressive features of the ARMember WordPress Membership plugin:
- It offers you gated content using the “content restriction” feature for various membership plans. Setting the content protection rules for posts, pages, taxonomy, custom posts, BuddyPress pages, and more.
- Allows you to access the “Drip Content” feature that gives you the option to schedule the content release for the selected posts, pages, custom content, user posts, and even for the products. It enables you to drip content (Immediately, after a certain time of subscription, after a certain time post is published or is modified, or from a specific date range)
- A striking feature of multiple payment gateways is to offer your members recurring payment options such as (Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly, yearly, or a one-time payment option) for accessing your premium content.
- Provides you with the powerful feature of the Membership setup wizard with the use of a single shortcode to integrate your plans, registration form, payment gateways, and coupons.
- Facilitates you with the Built-In form builder to create the signup/login forms with numerous customization options.
- Email Opt-Ins with the most famous email marketing software platforms
- Sending custom email notifications to the users or admins for a new subscription, failed payment, when the trial period ends, membership expired, and more. You can even create advanced notifications simply by editing the templates.
- Over 21+ Add-Ons options that help you to scale up your WordPress membership website.
Similarly, ARMember has plenty of other uniquely advanced features like if you want to Block IP Addresses, usernames, signups, and Block URLs, then you can even enable login attempt security as well. For higher security concerns, it even facilitates the two-step login verification feature.
Moreover, if you are looking to build an on-site social network where your site members can engage themselves by building connections, sending a friend request, following/unfollowing, private messages, and much more then ARMember Social Community Add-on can be a sure option to opt for!
Get The Plugin
Final Thoughts on Membership Plugin WordPress
Most of these plugins go head-to-head in this competition, for instance, membermouse vs memberpress, etc. So, I hope that this article helped you a lot in order to find the perfect membership plugin WordPress for your website. So, which one is your’s favorite? For any query feel free to comment below. Thanks for reading.
Should You “Drip Feed” Your Membership Content?
Best Christmas And New Year Deals On WordPress Themes, Plugins