BuddyPress is a free plugin of WordPress that just needs to be installed and activated and it quickly turns your website into a social networking platform. It allows users to create profiles, activity streams, user groups, messaging and everything needed to run a successful community website. As a matter of fact BuddyPress is just a plugin of WordPress that requires WordPress core features to function properly. In this article we have provided the complete information regarding the BuddyPress Customization which includes two major steps of BuddyPress Plugin Development and BuddyPress Theme Development.
As a matter of fact, there are numerous ways to customize BuddyPress. To emphasize we have created 3 main points that are necessary to customize BuddyPress.
- Plugins of BuddyPress as BuddyPress addons
- BuddyPress Theme Development.
- BuddyPress Integration with other WordPress Plugins
Installing BuddyPress Plugins for Customization
To enumerate, it comes with a variety of plugins that enhances the functionality of your website. If you want to create improved support or if you want to increase the community experience by adding voting, points or reward system to your website.
- BuddyPress Sitewide Activity Widget
- BuddyPress Member Type Generator
- BuddyPress Activity Shortcode,
- BuddyPress Featured Members
- BuddyPress Members Only.
Each of these plugins has its unique features and functionality. Nearly all of these plugins work well with WordPress.
Create Your Own Plugin
As we have mentioned earlier that BuddyPress provides great options to the user for easy modification, customization, and development. Somehow for making modifications to your site, you cannot always go for amendments on your website. At this point what you can do is, you add some plugins for adding functionality to your site. We will discuss all the aspects of creating a well-structured plugin step by step.
- Plugin Name: The main point that should be kept in mind before creating a plugin should be to name the plugin in such a way that it defines the functionality and purpose of the plugin. Do proper research before choosing the name for your plugin and make sure the name is not redundant.
- Readme files: If you are willing to host your plugin, then you must create a readme. text file. The next step is to include it in your plugin.
- Homepage development: A homepage with all the features and characteristics of the plugin is very essential. The homepage must have all the points that describe the plugin like how to install it, configuration, activation, etc.
- Programming the Plugin: For including all the features in your plugin programming of the plugin comes into play.
- BuddyPress Plugin Hooks: Hooks modifies the function of BuddyPress, as there are many plugins that fulfill their goals by collaborating with other plugins. These functions help in defining the default behavior of BuddyPress.
- Template Tags: Last but not the least, template tags is another crucial way to add functionality to your plugin. If somebody wants to use the plugin created by you then they can add it to their tags.
BuddyPress Theme Development
We are describing the key requirements of BuddyPress theme development for appropriate BuddyPress Customization.
Why do we need to install BuddyPress Themes?
BuddyPress and WordPress themes together are required to create and design the functionality of a BuddyPress site and this major step for BuddyPress Customization. Each theme has different features and it collectively changes a complete layout of a website.
The salient feature of BuddyPress Themes
Notable BuddyPress can be incorporated well into any WordPress site but you need a theme that gets up well to accommodate its features. As there are multiple features in BuddyPress themes, we are here providing some of the key features that you must keep in mind while choosing the best BuddyPress theme for you.
- Flexible Layout and Endless Customization for best BuddyPress Theme Development: This theme takes your social networking experience to an all-new level. They provide a layout that is flexible and has endless options for customization. The layout is created in such a way that it can be edited with great ease without even touching the codes. The admin panel can be constructed in a powerful way. Along with with it the color codes, logo, image sliders, import/export options can be effortlessly customized.
- Social Login Integrations: The key features of the BuddyPress themes are that they integrate well with almost all the free social plugins in the market. Along with it the themes also integrate well with BuddyPress plugins.
- RTL Language Ready and One Click Demo Import: BuddyPress themes come with language files, as a result it enables the user to translate any language into users preferred language. The user can easily set the right to left language. The concerned theme automatically changes into impressive RTL layout. The BuddyPress theme involves following features such as live notifications, SEO ready, shortcodes, translations, custom logos, secure codes, easy forms, boxed versions, and retina ready etc.
BuddyPress Template Tags
Another key point is that the template Tags are prioritized while theme development. These template tags help the user to customize your theme.
- Header and Navigation.
- Post and Content Formatting
- User and Member Info
- Search Forms
These are the essential steps for BuddyPress Customization. If you found this article informative then do comment in the section below.