Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) is an open-source platform that helps you to create web pages that can improve the performance of your website. It provides you an easy way to create web pages that are fast, smooth and captivating for the users. This initiative aims at making the web better for all. With the help of this project, you can create fast, beautiful and high-performing websites that work well on all devices and platforms. In this article, we will tell you some basics of AMP and How you can set AMP on WordPress Website.
These pages are controlled by you and are supported by many different platforms and are compatible across all browsers.
AMP’s ecosystem includes 25 million domains, 100+ technology providers, and leading platforms, that span the areas of publishing, advertising, e-commerce, local and small businesses, and more!
Major Components of AMP Pages:
AMP Pages are built with 3 components:
1. AMP HTML: AMP HTML is a subset of HTML for authoring content pages such as news articles in a way that guarantees certain baseline performance characteristics.
2. AMP JS: The AMP JS library implements all of AMP’s best performance practices, manages resource loading and gives you the custom tags mentioned above, all to ensure a fast rendering of your page.
3. AMP Cache: The Google AMP Cache is a proxy-based content delivery network for delivering all valid AMP documents. It fetches AMP HTML pages, caches them, and improves page performance automatically.
What does AMP Provide?
Accelerated Mobile Pages majorly provide you high-performance web pages that you can use across all the devices and browsers. The pages built under this platform lets you engage more users by giving them a smooth experience.
Web pages and ads that are published in these pages are in an open source format and load very fast. This leads to a smoother and more engaging experience across all the platforms and devices.
These pages are flexible and load results faster. Page publishers and advertisers have full control on these pages. They can decide how to present their content and what all are the requirements that can help them maintain high-performance.
Setting up AMP on WordPress Website
Now the question arises as to How you can Set up AMP on your WordPress Website? This process is not at all complicated. Automattic itself has made a plugin called AMP For WordPress that lets you set Google AMP on your WordPress Website. So, first and foremost, Install the Plugin.
- Go to Dashboard>> Plugins>> Add New Plugin
- Search for AMP>> Install>> Activate.
3. Once activated this plugin lets you change the appearance of how your website will look on mobile devices.
Go to Appearance>>AMP. Here you can change the appearance of your pages.
You can change the Header Text, Header Background, and Header Link Color. You can also change the color scheme between Dark and Light.
Now Save once you have managed the appearance.
In order to see how your page or post looks in AMP, Go to the particular URL and add /amp/ at the end of the URL.
For example http://abcd.com/2016/my-blog/amp/
This will display an AMP version of your page or post. Alternatively, you will get an AMP tab in the Post or Page Editor itself which will let you see the AMP version of your post. This tab is near the Preview option on a WordPress Page or Post.
This plugin provides few other settings as well. Let us see what these are:
1. General Settings: Go to Dashboard>> AMP>> General. Here you can select what post type you can set AMP. You can Enable/Disable the respective post type from a POST, PAGES, and PRODUCTS.
2. Analytics: This option lets you set up Analytics for your AMP Pages. Go to Dashboard>>AMP>>Analytics.
Extending Customization Options for AMP
The basic AMP Plugin does not provide you the options to extend Customization Options for AMP. In order to extend these customization options, you can use a free plugin called Glue for Yoast SEO and AMP. If you use Yoast SEO then you can easily install this plugin. It is an add-on plugin for Yoast SEO and AMP plugins.
Glue for Yoast SEO and AMP plugin provides you three major options:
1. Post Types: Lets you set for which post type you want to display AMP.
2. Design: Lets you choose the colors and design options. Here you can add a logo and default header image. You can as well change the colors and design of your pages.
3. Analytics: This option lets you add your Google Analytics ID to track Google Analytics for AMP.
We hope this article gave you some knowledge of Accelerated Mobile Pages, their benefits and How you can add them to your WordPress website. If you have any suggestions or want us to write on any specific topic, let us know in the comment section.