One of the most frustrating things about running a community website is receiving membership refunds from your users. Although it is a very unfortunate thing to happen yet it is a reality and there are times when you will have to go through such a situation. So how exactly are you going to handle refunds? Here we have discussed a few of the important aspects of membership refunds that will help you to settle things with your customers.
Why do people ask for refunds?
There are multiple reasons why your members might ask you for a refund. Maybe the customer is not satisfied with your services or he/she might hav\e forgotten the payment date and their membership has elapsed. It is also possible that your members are not finding much use of the membership plan in their busy schedule. So, they have decided to stop the membership plan and reduce their expenses. Whatever may be the case you must not take it personally and learn from your mistakes so that such situations do not happen in future.
How to prevent refund requests?
Here are a few ways by which you will be able to prevent refund requests to a certain extent:
- You can try to offer free trial membership to your customers. This will allow them to understand what your membership plan actually has got for them before they make any kind of financial commitments.
- Keep your members updated at all times. Send regular newsletters about new content updates and anything that will help to keep them engaged to your website.
- You can send renewal request reminders to your customers so that their membership plans do not get elapsed. You can also inform them about automatic payment options.
- Be accurate about all your marketing strategies. Try to maintain a very good relationship with your customers and help them out in whichever way possible.
Terms and conditions:
If you want to live up to the expectations of your customers, you must maintain proper clarity with them. You should give all the information properly to all your customers and also keep them informed about all the policies. This will make sure that your customers trust you and remain attached to your business for a long duration of time. The terms and conditions can make all your members aware of the rules and regulations related to your website. The terms and conditions should be written in a proper and concise manner so that your customers can understand everything and make decisions according to that.
A money-back guarantee is another way to gain the confidence of your customers. It will also remove all kinds of financial risks and show the customers that you are absolutely confident about the products and services that you sell on your website. However, you need to be careful about the time period during which your customers can ask for a return. In most cases, the customers are allowed to ask for a money-back within 30 days of signup.
Try to keep your customers happy:
If you want to run your business successfully, then first and foremost, you need to make sure that your customers are happy and satisfied with the services that you have got to offer to them. Never indulge in negative interactions with your customers. Do not try to defend your decision to refuse a refund. Otherwise, it will make your customers dissatisfied and they may post bad online reviews about your organisation. Instead, you should try to be diplomatic and ask your customers about the problems that they are facing on your website.
Few cases where are you might choose to refuse a refund:
Here are a few scenarios where you might refuse refund requests of your customers:
- Your customer has signed up for your website and downloaded all the important content within a day and is then asking for a refund.
- The customer has signed up for your website and has remained inactive for a considerable duration of time and now they are asking for a refund for the unused membership.
- The customer has signed up for your website and has shared all their login details and is now asking for a refund for the membership.
Few situations where you might consider a refund:
- The customer has requested a refund within the money-back guarantee period or in the refund policy framework.
- The customer wanted some kind of help but their queries were not resolved.
- The customer has signed up for your website and did not use any content of your website and is now asking for a refund.
- The customer is not happy with the services your membership plan has got to offer to them.
Keep things simple:
If you want to offer refunds to your customers, then you must make the entire process simple. Do not make the process so complicated that it becomes impossible for the customers to complete the process. Your customers should find it easy to navigate to the refund page. Do not try to hide anything from your customers. Also, do not display the refund forms on the home page itself. Otherwise, your customers may feel that you are encouraging refunds.
Learn from your previous experiences:
You must take a lesson from all your experiences. Think of ways by which you can improve services and drive traffic to your website. Refunds can teach you a lot. It will make you aware of the performance scenario of your website. It will also encourage you to come up with new ideas to keep your customers satisfied.
Look for long-term benefits:
Do not concentrate on short-term losses. Try to build a beautiful long-term relationship with your customers so that the customers who have cancelled their membership can again come back later. Make sure that all your customers have a positive view of your company. Even if they wish to end your membership, they should do so with a good feeling in mind.
So, these were some of the ways by which you can deal with refund requests from your customers. If you know of any other ways to handle refund requests from the customers, then don’t forget to let us know of it.